Natureboy uses the fear induced sweat of women to keep his head nice and shiny------------Fatty isn't fat......but he is a disgusting pervert-----------ChimpPimpin can often be found in a pub, drinking tea, alone, quietly weeping----------Princess spends 2 hours getting ready for a tournament, and is still waiting for someone to tell him he looks pretty-----------Harrytheschmuck has over 1000 cats living in his bedroom. They are all named Harry Jr----------Ben has fathered a child. Even he isn't sure how---------TimSmith invites all his opponents for a Saturday night wrestle in his hotel room, underpants optional--------

Wednesday 3 April 2013

I have a plan! And it's as hot as my pants!!!




Its been a while Warhammer 40k. 5th Ed has left the building and after hitting the tournament scene like a tonne of bricks it was time for a break. Towards the end of 5th i was running low on juice so i thought i would give myself a different challenge and look into running tournaments. I had been to so many and had learned what i liked and disliked from each and used all the best bits from each as a template for my own. It had been something i had rattling around the back of my head for some time after all the moaning i was hearing about the lack of Birmingham tournaments.

For those who live in the middle of middle earth it was over an hours car drive to the nearest tournament (Warhammer World) and even longer to Bristol, Manchester, Mansfield etc. So with me suffering from tournament burn out and looking for a new challenge it was time to stop the moaning and do something myself. It seamed like 90% of all tournaments were run at the eye of the storm and each one felt the same despite the differing rules packs. I would often look at how another fellow gamer (Neil Kerr) mixed both running tournaments and participation while he was still in the UK and i thought rite, that is for me.

So, started my journey into building what would end up being 30 gaming tables all populated with terrain. I have an unnatural capacity for not to relying on other people as i always seam to get let down so my journey would be a solo one. Not want to rely on any gaming clubs like most tournaments do, or rely on a purpose built venue like the eye of the storm, i have to make, buy, build and paint EVERYTHING!

Tables: I had over the years attended an event called Bristol Vanguard and I loved the idea of themed tables that had terrain that was made for each one, rather than what i often found, which was green tables with whatever terrain could be picked out of a box with your eyes closed.

Terrain: Ever since my Necromunda days I've always loved terrain, often when reading battle reports and looking though pictures of miniatures in white dwarf my eye was always drawn to the terrain and trying to work out what components or materials had been used. So i had made it my mission to indulge my pent up terrain perversion and make a bunch of terrain that would be in keeping with the themes i had with the tables i would have.

All That Glitters: A lot of events have good prize support. Open War always have lots of prizes and i liked the idea. Apart from the people who would end up 1st, 2nd, 3rd etc i wanted most sporting and best painted to get every bit of recognition as those who could roll dice well by correctly rewarding their efforts of being nice or talented.

Philosophy: Ive never been a fan of the idea of 'comp'. The idea of saying how many or what type of models or units you can choose from. Some events do, i don't. I wanted to put more emphasis on peoples attitude. I would rather let people use what they like, its their event as much as mine, just don't be a dick. Ive had bad games and had to put up with 'that guy'. If anyone wants to try and be 'that guy' at one of my events will simply be shown the door while i throw them though it. This is why i always like to reward those who play with the correct spirit is rewarded with extra points and prizes etc.

Ive gone on rather a long time now and you probably stopped reading after the opening paragraph. Thank you for your time and i hope to see you at a Battlefield Birmingham event soon. The next one is a doubles on the 15th+16th June, singles is already booked for 5th+6th October.

Woof!


No comments:

Post a Comment