Natureboy uses the fear induced sweat of women to keep his head nice and shiny------------Fatty isn't fat......but he is a disgusting pervert-----------ChimpPimpin can often be found in a pub, drinking tea, alone, quietly weeping----------Princess spends 2 hours getting ready for a tournament, and is still waiting for someone to tell him he looks pretty-----------Harrytheschmuck has over 1000 cats living in his bedroom. They are all named Harry Jr----------Ben has fathered a child. Even he isn't sure how---------TimSmith invites all his opponents for a Saturday night wrestle in his hotel room, underpants optional--------

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Coming back to 40k after a bit of a break....




Well after some arm twisting I agreed to write a bit of a blog entry about me returning to 40k after a while out, I last played regularly at the start of 5th Edition and haven’t been to a ‘real’ tournament since 4th – i remember fondly the time when Blood Claws were actually a viable choice in a Space Wolves army, which I miss dearly…


I wanted to use this blog as an opportunity to say what my problems have been, what I have noticed has changed, and also my improvement (hopefully) as a player to a level where I am not a total disgrace when I attend tournaments!
When I decided I was going to get back into 40k there was only one army I really wanted to do – my first love of the Space Wolves – I do enjoy the fluff for them and I really love the models, so I set out to get a bunch of them together and form an army list from there.
I would like to point out that I don’t really like the idea of netlisting to be honest, I had a poke around online and saw a lot of the lists for Space Wolves really lacked imagination – they all seem to focus around 3 things – Rune Priests, Grey Hunters and Long Fangs. But that seems to be all that is in any of them, and that just seems very bland and flavourless to me!
So I decided that I would have a good read through the Codex, and a look at the models and see what I really liked – personally two units really stood out for me – Thunderwolves and Lone Wolves, I really love the idea of a genetically enhanced superhuman riding a giant wolf, and I think the fluff for the Lone Wolves is very cool, so I decided I wanted to include both of those in my army, upon chatting to Rob and some of the other fearless Dudley players I discovered that 1850pts was the flavour of the day for tournaments, so I came up with the following.
HQ
Wolf Lord, Runic Armour, Storm Shield, Thunderwolf Mount, Power Fist, Saga of the Bear
Rune Priest, Chooser Of The Slain, Jaws, Living Lightning
Elites
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield
Lone Wolf, Terminator Armour, Chainfist, Storm Shield
3 x Wolf Guard, 3 x Term Armour, 3 x Power Axe, 3 x Storm Shield
Troops
10 Grey Hunters, 2 Plasmaguns, Power Fist, Wolf Standard, Rhino
10 Grey Hunters, 2 Plasmaguns, Power Fist, Wolf Standard, Rhino
5 Grey Hunters, Meltagun, Rhino
Fast Attack
3 x Thunderwolf Cavalry, 2 x Storm Shields, Power Fist
Heavy Support
6 Long Fangs, 5 Missile Launchers
6 Long Fangs, 5 Missile Launchers
6 Long Fangs, 5 Heavy Bolters


My thoughts were really based on my previous experience with 5th – solid troops in transports so I can claim objectives etc with a strong firebase backed up with some cool stuff which I liked.
So armed with my past experience I thought I had come up with a decent enough army list so I could start playing some games, my first couple of encounters the list fared quite well, but in all honesty it was against casual gamers, and not against any really ‘competitive’ army lists.
My wake up call came on Easter Monday, when along with a group of the Dudley boys I went up to Warhammer World for a few games of 40k, my first game was against Russell another relative newcomer to competitive 40k in 6th ed, and it was a even game where I had a lot of fun.
It was in game 2 that it all seemed to go wrong, I came up against Harry and his triple helldrake army list and I got completely panned. Fliers are a massive Achilles heel for the Space Wolves and my list in particular, the Helldrakes burnt my long fangs and vector striked them to death pretty much down to a level where they were ineffective in the first turn they came down.
I had no real answer to it and the rest of the game was pretty much Harry mopping up what I had left on the board, the only good performance came from my Wolf Lord on thunderwolf who was happily punching his way through Harrys guard blob when I called it on turn 3.
Spent the ride home talking to Dave about what you see often in 40k tournaments and it appears flyers are everywhere and what I really need is a counter, we went back and forth a bit over different ideas so im going back to the drawing board a bit to see what I come up with, one thing im sure of at this point, im not losing my Thunderwolves and Wolf Lord, no matter what the netlisters say!
Hopefully I can use the blog to let you know what is happening and how my Army Evolves, into hopefully something half competitive!
Thanks for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment